I’ve always wondered about the point behind writing useless reports as homework during my study at the university – and only recently I’ve realized the importance of writing skills.
To advance your career, you have to learn how to write documents that communicate your thoughts, ideas, and the context of the problem you are trying to solve clearly, concisely, and, most importantly, precisely.
- Make sure your documents provide enough context for different audience members without assuming the reader has prior knowledge about the ideas and information in your document.
- Be specific and avoid sentences that could mean different things to different members of your audience.
- Practice writing a lot, ask for feedback, repeatedly revise your document, and tweak sentences, paragraphs, and document structure to make it easier to follow.
- Read a lot, study the writing style you like the most, and focus on practicing the same writing techniques on multiple topics.
- Practice narrative structures (aka. story structure) as it’s one of the most effective ways to grab the reader’s full attention while reading.